People love sports car. There is nothing cooler than driving around in a car that has awesome performance and really stands out from others on the road. This is especially true when the sun is out and the weather is warm. With a top sports car, you can become a star on the merits of your car alone. In today’s trying economic times, you’ve got to dare to dream, right?
In this light, we make our picks for the top ten sports cars under $250,000 for 2012. We kept it at this price as honestly anyone who spends more than this on a car than this really needs to reassess their priorities and donate amounts above this to charity.
Our top 10 sports car picks by alphabetic order are:
1. Aston Martin V12 Vantage – The brand made famous by James Bond. This model is a sleek, stylish British coupe that has an MSRP of about $185,000. Its offers a seven-speed auto-clutch manual transmission with a 5.9-lter 490 horsepower V12 engine.
The model is also offered with a significantly less expensive V8 engine that produces 420-430 horsepower. However, even at this price point, a navigation system is optional.
2. Audi R8 – This $200,000 all-wheel drive (AWD) Audi super sports car is offered with a 5.2-liter V-10 engine that produces a massive 560 horsepower. Bargain hunters will want to go with the 420 horsepower V8 model that starts at about $120,000.
This model is the Audi’s ultimate driving machine and with its AWD set up, is even well suited for the snow with the right tires. And since Volkswagen owns Lamborghini, Audi, and Bentley and shares parts among the brands, it is a relative bargain.
3. Ferrari 458 Italia – Truly a model that defines exotic sports cars. The 458 Italia has modern supercar styling with Ferrari’s classic 4.5-liter 557 horsepower V8 engine that goes from 0-60 in 3 seconds. This coupe starts at a price of $230,325.
4. Ferrari California – The cheapest Ferrari with a starting price of about $196,000. Not their best offering but if you need a Ferrari hardtop convertible go with this model.
5. Lamborghini Gallardo – Lamborghini continues to push Ferrari for defining the look of an exotic car. This model features essentially the same engine V10 that is found in the Audi A8. It offers buyers a range options including a convertible model and all-wheel drive at a price ranging from $194,000 to $253,000.
6. Maserati GranTurismo – The model, which is offered as a coupe and convertible, has a Ferrari sourced V8 that produces more than 400 horsepower. It has a price range of about $122,000 to $145,000.
7. McLaren MP4-12C – The new super car in town. This model’s high-revving engine is based on a design intended for Indy Car racing. Its twin-turbo-charged V8 produces a massive 592 horsepower. This coupe model starts at a price of $231,400.
8. Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG – Now offered as both a coupe and convertible. The model has a 6.2-liter 563 horsepower V-8 engine and costs up to $225,000.
9. Nissan GT-R – Super car performance at the relatively bargain price of about $95,000. This AWD model, which won Motor Trend’s 2009 Car of the Year Award, now features a 3.8-liter twin-turbo-charged V-6 engine that produces a massive 530 horsepower. This model is also the most fuel efficient of the group with fuel economy of 16-mpg city and 23-mpg highway.
10. Porsche 911 – What best sports car list is complete without a Porsche? The 911 is all-new for 2012. The model is offered with a range of engine options. Its top engine produces 530 horsepower and has a 0-60 time of less than 3 seconds. The model’s price ranges from about $80,000 to nearly $250,000.
If you own one of these top 10 sports cars, you will undoubtedly attract a lot of onlookers and be the envy of many. If you must spend more than this, buyers can choose from the awesome $393,000 Lamborghini Aventador, which is a new model that replaces the Murcielago, the all-new Lexus LFA, the Ferrari FF (a new four-seat hatchback model starting at $300,000), the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, and the Bugatti Veyron.
The convertible Veyron is for the super rich with super egos (Simon Cowell owns one) and has a price of nearly $2 million. Its 8.0-liter 987 horsepower quad-turbo W16 engine is ridiculously fast with a top speed of 252 mph and even up to 224 mph with the top down. Consider this, the Nissan GT-R also has a sub 3 0-60 time but costs 1/20 the price of the Veyron.
You don’t have to spend between $100,000 and $250,000 to get a great sports car. There are several great used high performance sports cars for under $25,000, we featured in this post. In the meantime, start saving up by cutting your car insurance costs. Use our site’s free quote system to compare rates from leading insurers and save.